Stretching Shoes

At last I got to wear my adorable new All Saints oxfords, which languished in my closet for several months while I tried to decide whether to stretch them or send them back. Obviously I decided to stretch them, and although they could still use a little more work, they're already vastly more wearable than they were at first.

The problem with these shoes was the width, which I increased using FootFitter Pro stretchers and stretching spray. From the reviews I read on several of the different models of shoe stretchers, I deduced that the issue with the plastic-threaded ones is that they can strip when you tighten them. However, the models with metal threads are more than twice as expensive, and I wanted to be able to buy two so that I could stretch both shoes at once (I'm not exactly known for my patience). So I went with the plastic-threaded model and proceeded with caution, at first turning the width adjustment until it was just tight, and increasing the tension about 3/4 of a turn per day, preceded by a thorough soaking with the stretching spray.

In the end it took me about a week to complete the stretching, using the spray, tighten, wait overnight, and repeat technique. It worked so well that I've already got several other pairs in mind for some size adjustment. Considering that it costs around $12 per pair to have shoes stretched professionally, it will take less than 3 pairs for these stretchers to totally pay for themselves. And if I end up with shoes that are more comfortable, the cost really becomes negligible.

All in all I'd highly recommend getting your own set of shoe stretchers if you're like me and struggle with the comfort of your shoes, and also if you have several pairs that need length and/or width adjustment. Not only can you make initial adjustments to new shoes, but you can go back and readjust older shoes that may have become tighter during months of not being worn (this is a particular concern for people who live in areas of temperature extremes, where you have entire seasons where certain shoes cannot be worn). Note that the stretchers I've discussed here do not work on boots; boots require a special kind of stretcher that is typically a lot more expensive. If anyone has a model of boot stretcher they can recommend, I'd love to hear about it.  

Cardigan, shoes: All Saints
Shirt: Tulle
Belt: Lazaro
Shorts: White House Black Market