Whiter Than Sour Cream



Yes, it has been warm here indeed ; I never thought I'd be able to wear this dress to work. I bought it last year to wear for our holiday trip to Mexico; it was my New year's Eve dress, in fact. But it's clearly a sundress, and layering it up with tights and a thick sweater just wouldn't feel or look right, so it has been lingering in the back of my closet, just waiting for the next tropical vacation. When it hit 100 at home and in the 90's at work, I knew it was time to pull it out.

This outfit sort of cracked me up because it made my already pale skin look exceptionally white. Now don't get me wrong; I work hard to maintain my fair complexion because it's better for my skin and in fact I think it looks more natural, but there's still something incongruous about a splashy bright sundress next to a ghostly, washed-out complexion.

The extreme pallor of my skin that day got me thinking about Weird Al Yankovic's hilarious parody of the Chamillionaire song, "Dirty," and the equally hilarious video which, if you haven't seen, is well worth a view (check it out below). In my opinion if you're a musician, you really know you've hit the big time when Weird Al parodies one of your songs. What I can't quite figure out though, is what it means for an artist when Weird Al's version is actually better than the original? In this case the original is not bad, but another rap song about crooked cops? Yawn. On the other hand, when has anyone ever rapped about being so nerdy that you speak fluent Klingon, and edit Wikipedia? Plus, Chamillionaire is just a flat out stupid name. Weird Al gets my vote on this one, especially since I'm white and nerdy myself.

Dress: Plenty by Tracy Reese (via Gilt)
Cardigan: Anthropologie
Shoes: Fly London