Mystery Shoes Revealed!


It was totally worth the wait, am I right?


Making their debut in this outfit are my fabulous new Miu Miu shoes and Wolford tights, and let me tell you, I felt KILLER in these. I don't think my legs have ever looked so good.

Like the Valentino dress, these shoes came after a long period of deliberation. And by long, I mean roughly 15 years, because that's how long I've wanted a pair of Miu Miu shoes.

Now I'm no label whore; I don't want just any pair of Miu Mius simply for the name. But over the years, this is one of a handful of high end brands that has consistently taken my breath away with their gorgeous shoe designs. In fact, I vividly remember the moment I laid eyes on the first pair of Miu Mius I'd ever seen; they were spectator mary janes, and when I saw them in an ad in Vogue, I fell HARD for them. At the time there was no question of being able to own them, but I never forgot that beautiful pair of shoes.

In seeking out the ideal pair of Miu Mius, I looked for something iconic, something that even the most casual observer would know was special. At the same time the shoes had to meet my splurge criteria of having staying power and being versatile, so they couldn't be too far out or trendy. These black satin mary janes really fit the bill: they're a classic style, can be worn day or evening, and as an added bonus they can replace my nylon-chewing Steve Maddens. And that extravagant heel gives them the special quality I was looking for.

I'll be honest with you, these aren't the most comfortable shoes I own. Even with the thick platform, their 5 inch heels put my feet in a nearly vertical position. However, they aren't nearly as ankle-breaking as you might expect either; I won't be running any marathons in them, but they were just fine for a normal work day. Obviously I didn't get much work done though, since I spent much of the day gazing at my own feet.

The Wolford tights get two big thumbs up; yes, they're on the pricey side, but they are beautifully made and they make my legs look fantastic. They aren't tissue-thin and delicate either; I think these will easily stand up to normal wear and tear. I've long maintained that quality hosiery is worth the money, and since I wear skirts and dresses so much more than I wear pants, it's helpful to have at least one really unique pair of tights that has the power to transform an outfit.

For their debut I let the shoes and tights be the star, keeping the rest of the outfit neutral and unadorned. The denim jacket further reinforced the look as a daytime one.



Top: La Redoute
Jacket: Tulle
Navy skirt: All Saints
Tights: Wolford
Shoes: Miu Miu, via eBay