Hybrid


This is another runway-inspired outfit, which I got the idea for after seeing Christian Dior's blends of vibrant blue and burgundy, as well as the interesting mixing of long upper layers with shorter lower ones. The end result was sort of a hybrid; below are the two outfits I drew from compared with the final outcome:


As you can see I put my own spin on it by including some pattern mixing, and the vibrant, floral trench coat (as well as the absence of any fur) gave the outfit a springier look. The nude, patterned tights look funny in these photos, but I promise my legs did not look that creepy in real life. I would've actually preferred to go bare-legged, but it just wasn't quite warm enough yet.

I really liked the blue/burgundy mix; I will definitely play around with this pairing again. I also thought the long cardigan and trench over the shorts was cheeky and fun, and I will be looking for other ways to use this type of combo. My goal in creating this outfit was to demonstrate how runway fashions can be adapted to fit what's already in your closet, and how they don't have to be copied verbatim in order to capture the overall impression.

For more couture-inspired outfits, be sure to check out Emma's runway to work day series.

Trench coat: Liquid
Cardigan: Cynthia Rowley
Top: Forever 21
Shorts: made from thrift-bought leather pants
Tights: Hue
Bracelet: Betsey Johnson
Boots: Miz Mooz