Creative Alteration

I love this skirt more every time I wear it; the construction is superb and it's so thick and sturdy that it needs no lining or slip to make it opaque. Admittedly though, it can be a bit challenging to work with. I had actually hit upon pairing it with this pink top before, but found that the hip-length top was too long and threw the proportions off. However, adding the elastic belt allowed me to take up some of the length, by folding it neatly underneath the belt and tucking it out of sight. I've got a million tricks up my sleeve, let me tell ya!

This reminds me of the episodes of What Not to Wear that I was watching over the weekend, in which Clinton and Stacy kept telling people to make the clothes work for them. This is so true; you do not have to settle for flaws that make a garment less than perfect for you, nor do you have to pass something by completely, simply because one minor element is off.

Beyond the obvious fixes like taking up length, you can alter the shape of a garment by adding darts or pintucks, make straps narrower or even wider (this was a suggestion of Clinton and Stacy's; take a couple inches off the hem of a dress and use it to make wider straps), turn a dress into a skirt or a romper into a dress, and just about anything else your imagination can dream up. These options are particularly important to keep in mind while you're thrift shopping, because when the original item is so affordable it's not as big of a deal to take a chance on a creative alteration.

What's the most creative or dramatic alteration you've ever made to a garment? Did you do it yourself or take it to a tailor?

Top: Weston Wear
Cardigan: Express, a gift from my aunt
Belt: Red Dress Shoppe
Necklace: Manu Lizarralde
Skirt: Marc by Marc Jacobs
Boots: All Black