Mixing Grays

Lately I find myself drawn to mixed-neutral color schemes, especially when the weather turns rainy and cold as it has been here for the past couple of weeks. So this crochet-trimmed cardigan and black knit dress were quite timely presents from my family; the cardigan is from my mom, and the dress is from my aunt. They always seem to do a great job picking out clothes for me.

Throwing in some gray is always a great way to blend brown and black together, so I added several items in varying shades of silver-gray. Grays can be tricky to mix, so it's important to pay close attention to whether items are a warm or cool gray; the easiest combinations will always be like with like. In past outfits I've mixed different bluish-grays (here's one example, and here's another), and in others I've gone with warmer grays with brown undertones (such as this outfit). Warm and cool grays can be mixed, as long as there's an intervening color that bridges the gap; in this outfit I mixed a soft taupe-gray with a deep charcoal, using plenty of brown to ease the transition.   

For more on mixing neutrals, click here to read what Sal has to say about it.

Cardigan: Solemio
Scarf: Eileen Fisher
Dress: Max Studio
Skirt: S
Belt: Urban Outfitters
Boots: Bos and Co.